If you are considering IVF or are planning your first cycle, you're probably feeling extremely overwhelmed and uncertain about the process. There are a lot of moving parts and the process will differ for each individual. I've only been through this once, but I wanted to go into it prepared with a list of questions so I had all of the information up front. I've had several friends going through the same thing lately, so I thought it would be helpful to create a list of questions to ask at your first IVF consult appointment. IVF is kind of a big deal, and its important that you have all of the answers you need before you start your first cycle. That way you won't have to stress about what's going to happen next and focus more on staying hopeful and visualizing a positive outcome.
- What are your clinic's success rates?
- Does your clinic have better success rates with a fresh or frozen cycle?
- Do you offer any IVF packages or discounts for shared cycle?
- What kind of tests will need to be done beforehand? Is there a separate cost for this?
- What is your projected timeline for egg retrieval and transfer? Is your office open on weekends? Are you taking any vacations or foresee any absences during this cycle?
- Will you be doing ICSI? Or would you recommend it for me?
- Do you recommend genetic testing for my situation? If so, why? How would this affect the timeline?
- What kind of vitamins or supplements should I be taking before egg retrieval? Should I stop any supplements after transfer?
- Do you recommend any dietary changes?
- What kind of protocol will I have? Antagonist, agonist, long lupron, micro-flare, other? Why would that protocol work best for me?
- Will I be on birth control? If so, for how long?
- What is the contact information for your IVF Coordinator? What is the best way to keep in touch with her if I have questions?
- What is your transfer policy (transferring more than 1 embryo)?
- Do you anticipate a 3 or 5 day transfer?
- How frequently are the embryos checked when they're in the lab?
- How often will I receive updates on my embryos?
- Do you recommend assisted hatching? Is there an additional cost for this?
- What type of progesterone supplement will I take during the 2ww? Crinone, PIO, or suppositories?
- When will my beta HCG test be scheduled? Will I receive results the same day?
Do you have any questions that you think should be added to this list? If so, please share them in the comments below.
This post is linked up with Amateur Nester.